The Latin America Parents Association - National Capitol Region (LAPA-NCR) is a support group of families who have adopted children from Latin America or U.S.-born children of Latin American descent.
Who We Are
LAPA-NCR is a tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization in the state of Maryland. More than 200 families are members of LAPA-NCR, most of whom live in Maryland, Virginia, Washington, DC, and Pennsylvania. LAPA-NCR families include adopted children from Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Peru, and Venezuela, as well as the USA and other countries around the world. Many LAPA families adopted from Guatemala during the early 2000s.
LAPA-NCR is not an adoption agency, but a volunteer association of adoptive parents. Please consider joining us. Our objectives are:
1. To help adoptive families:
- Remain in contact with one another;
- Learn about Latin American culture;
- Exchange ideas about raising adopted children through social get-togethers, Mis Amigos Summer Retreat Weekend, forums, and meetings.
2. To provide financial and material aid to children and families in Latin America.
3. Formerly, another objective was to help families seeking to adopt from Latin America. Since there are very few adoptions from Latin America currently, this is not a very active area of LAPA, but we are willing to try to help if we can.
- helping prospective adopters meet adoptive families
- providing information on how to adopt from Latin America
LAPA-NCR has worked with several independent organizations including:
LAPA New York, Inc.
P.O. Box 339
Brooklyn, NY 11234